Friday, December 15, 2006

Disarray

So here’s the latest thing that’s thrown my mental life into disarray. Casual Fridays: Can you tell me the "best" email sign-off? Thanks!

A few months ago I made the conscious decision to switch the closing of my emails from “Cordially,” which I’ve used since college, to “Best.” Now I find out that “Best,” as an email signoff, is considered brusque.

Brusque!?!

I thought is was a good shorthand for “All the Best” or “Best Wishes” or even “With every best wish.” But no, it’s brusque. Crap!

According to the chart, “Thanks” is largely innocuous, and thus right for any situation.

Ugh!

I’m thinking of switching to something obscure like “Valediction.”

At least I’ve never been a “Cheers” douchebag.

2 comments:

M Griffin said...

Please, please reconsider changing your sign off to best. Cordially is just fine...really. THANKS!

Unknown said...

i think you should sign off

Douchebag,