Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Can’t Spel

The other day in a movie review post, I wondered how a particular title got in my "renal Q" rather than my rental Q. Some assumed I had done it to be clever, while others assumed that I had a painful kidney condition. The truth is I rely heavily on the spell-check function, but even the most sophisticated computers and software cannot overcome my combination of poor spelling and typographical errors.

Later the same day I was filling out an online form, a task where I’ll usually open up W*rd, type my entry to spell check, and copy and paste. This time, though, all I had to get right was "For those of you who didn’t receive the message through the Yahoo group." I thought I could do it. I concentrated hard on "i before e, except after c," but I must have slacked off at the end of the sentence. I ended up inventing a whole new service for Yahoo. The grope. That’s right, "For those of you who didn’t receive the message through the Yahoo grope . . ." well, insert your own punch line here. I guess I’m just lucky I didn't spell message "massage."

BTW, I have decided, from now on, to refer to it as my renal Q.

2 comments:

Vince said...

i had a renal q condition for quite some time and with a prescribed ointment it cleared up in less than a year. man did it smell.

PoMonkey said...

I can testify that he does indeed now call it his renal Q! I'm also sure that others will want more information about the Yahoo grope.